Thursday, January 29, 2009

Gourmet Magazine

"The belly rules the mind"
~Spanish Proverb

I can't keep collecting all of my food magazines so here's my new idea. I used to go through them when they were a few months old and rip out every recipe I thought I might make, so now I just have a huge pile of pages that I rarely cook from! My new idea: actually make the recipes during that month and the ones I like, keep and put in my recipe box. Wow how brilliant. So I tackled the Feb. issue of gourmet. Don't be too impressed, I am only talking about the 'Quick Kitchen' section because I actually have other things to do in a day besides get dinner on the table. This week I tried the Paprika Roast Chicken with Sweet Onion and served it with the Roasted Green Beans and Cashews - the result: really good and super fast. They roast together at 500°F and are done in 30min. My cashews burnt to a crisp but the beans were great. 

Next up: the Cilantro-Chipotle Tilapia served with the Mexican Pineapple Salad and rice. They had me at Chipotle. Really good, but one of my daughter's said I may not want to serve it for company because the cilantro chipotle mix doesn't look so appetizing after it's cooked onto the fish.(Looks kind of like burnt spinach/mud) Otherwise delicious. It makes way to much salad for the amount of fish.

Then the Fennel-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Fennel Wedges. I just made smashed potatoes to go with it and it was all yummy. I didn't have the fennel seeds it called for but it was still great. Tonight was the Black Bean Burgers with salsa and sour cream. Loved these and I think they'd be considered vegan. Will definitely make them again when you have nothing in the pantry but black beans you're good to go! 

Let me know if you try any of these and what you think.

I also have my eye on the Parmesan Pull-Aparts........... there's always next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment