Friday, September 24, 2010

Pot Luck Dish

The New York Times is asking for submissions for your signature pot luck dish. The top tested dishes will be featured in NY Times magazine. I don't really have a signature dish because I'm always trying new things. But one dish that is always a crowd pleaser is this spicy pulled pork. I didn't try to pass it off as my own. They asked where you got the recipe from on the form so I immediately fessed up it was from 'Everyday food'.  I tried photographing it in my slow cooker and later realized how messy it looked with drippings all over the side.
I haphazardly made my plate and took a picture but I ended up submitting it because the pot looked so bad.
I topped it with avocado, sour cream, cheese, and cilantro. And you can see my misshapen homemade corn tortilla. Maybe they're looking for quirky.

Anyway, if you want to please a big group, make a batch of this in your slow cooker.
I usually get a bigger pork shoulder/butt so I double the other ingredients. It freezes well too.


Ingredients

Serves 8
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 dried bay leaves
  • 1 chipotle, in adobo sauce, minced
  • 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
  • 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
  • 1 can (14.5 ounces) whole tomatoes in puree
  • 2 teaspoons coarse salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 2 3/4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and halved crosswise
  • Flour tortillas, lightly toasted, for garnish (optional)
  • Grated cheddar cheese, for garnish (optional)
  • Sour cream, for garnish (optional)

Directions

  1. In a 5-quart slow cooker, combine onion, oregano, bay leaves, chipotle, adobo sauce, tomatoes (and purée), salt, and pepper. Add pork; toss to coat with sauce.
  2. Cover; cook on high setting until meat is pull-apart tender, about 6 hours (do not uncover while cooking).
  3. Transfer meat to a large bowl; shred with forks, discarding any gristle. Return meat to pot; toss with sauce.
  4. To serve, discard bay leaves; if desired, garnish with tortillas and cheddar or sour cream.
From Everyday Food, December 2004


Read more at Marthastewart.com: Spicy Pulled Pork Recipe - MarthaStewart.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment