Monday, July 5, 2010

Summer Squash

For a couple of weeks I had a plethora of summer squash. I love it and am always looking for interesting ways to enjoy it. I did a basic sauté with onions but at the end, added pesto and it really complemented the squash. We also grill it a lot. Slice it the long way and brush the slices with olive oil with some herbs and salt and pepper.
 I remember my mother  freezing a lot of vegetables so I wanted to give that a try too.
Wash, trim and slice up the squash.
Put it into boiling water for about 3 minutes.
Immediately put it in ice water to stop the cooking.
I did this in batches.
Lay on paper towels to try a bit.
Bag, label and freeze.
In a couple of months I can whip out some home grown squash from the freezer.

For my first Meatless Mondays I made Thai Squash Soup. The recipe calls for it to be served cold but we ate it hot and it was fantastic. I may have to actually buy some squash just to make more of that soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment