Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Granola

I've been making my own granola for a long time now, probably twelve years or so. It's really easy once you get your recipe down. I make a batch at least twice a month. I've made huge batches for gift giving too. I eat it about 4-5 days a week and really swear by it's health benefits (it's keeps you very regular too!).  I eat it with yogurt or kefir , a little milk and fresh berries. It really powers me through the morning. Equivalent granola in the store is so expensive. I am going to share my recipe which is just that, the way I like it. It's so easy to make it your own with the add ins you like best. I'll walk you through the basics  but encourage you to try different things until you come up with your ultimate granola.

Scott's Granola
4 cups oats (not instant or quick cooking) a great item to get from the bulk section
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup chopped up pecans and/or almonds ( or any nuts you prefer)
3/4 cup shredded coconut (optional but gives good texture)
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup oil (vegetable or canola)
1/3 cup molasses (or if you prefer use honey)
Mixture of dried fruit. ie. raisens, dried cranberries, dried cherries, dates, and I love to put in some chopped up dried crystallized ginger.(1/2 cup or more)

Preheat your oven to 300º.
Gather your ingredients


Measure all of the dry ingredients and the spices into the bowl, except the dried fruit.
Measure out your water/oil/molasses mixture and pour over the dry ingredients, stirring it all together.

Divide between two baking sheets and put in the oven for 44 minutes.
Stir and rotate shelves half way through baking time (At 22 min.)

When done just let cool on the baking sheets, then add your dried fruit.
Store in an airtight container!

No comments:

Post a Comment