Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Gourmet Today


I picked this up at Sam's club last week out of curiosity and then couldn't put it down, so it ended up in my basket. I heard a bit about it when it first came out, but I made the assumption it would be complicated food taken from the magazine. It's so approachable and really all about how we cook today. I can tell I will use this for years to come. It was listed at $40. and Sam's had it for $24.95.  I've been cooking from it since I brought it home.

The first thing that caught my eye was Pressure Cooker Chicken Stock. I've been looking for other good   uses for my pressure cooker besides beans. And the weather was calling for me to make some homemade chicken soup.
I gathered the ingredients: a small chicken, onions, celery, carrots, thyme, garlic, parsley stems, a bay leaf, salt  and peppercorns.

I put it all in the pressure cooker and added 7 cups of water. Brought it to a boil and then put the top on it.
Once it was hissing I turned it down to a simmer and in 15 minutes it was done!
I removed the chicken and picked all of the meat off it for the soup and had extra for chicken salad.
Then I strained everything else out and let the stock cool. After adding fresh carrots, celery, onion,
the chicken and egg noodles we had some comforting chicken noodle soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment