Monday, October 4, 2010

Flank Steak

Flank steaks freeze well, so it's a great thing to pull out of your freezer when you don't have other dinner plans. I've been tweaking this marinade and am finally really pleased with the results. I think it makes all the difference to let it marinate all day. If your steak is frozen, defrost it overnight, then mix up the marinade in the morning, pour it into a ziplock bag with the meat. Leave in the refrigerator all day.

1/2 cup soy sauce (I usually use reduced sodium)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red wine
lots of crushed garlic
lots of grated fresh ginger root
1 T. honey
lots of fresh ground pepper

Take the flank steak out of the marinade and sprinkle it generously with coarse salt and pepper. Then grill it! Let it rest and then slice it really thin across the grain. mmmmm..........

I have a friend who is a chocolatier. She makes absolutely beautiful and delicious chocolates and took special classes to learn her craft. I asked her about her favorite brand of chocolate to use, and she said she likes Callebaut as in Barry Callebaut chocolate. They have great prices on it at C'ville Market.
They also sell it at King Arthur Flour.
It comes in various size bags and they have unsweetened, bittersweet, and semisweet. I use my little kitchen scale to weight out the ounces needed in a recipe. I've been having great results so far.

1 comment:

  1. Scott,
    I thought I checked this web site often, but I somehow missed your blog. How fun and how do you have the time. It's always good to get tips about chocolate but, I'm not sure what you mean by King Arthurs flour as a place? Or am I misreading it? I made the eggplant Parm. the other day and it was a hit. Will keep reading. You might like the web site theydrawandcook.com it's really fun. Thanks for the tips.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete