Sunday, September 13, 2009

End of Summer Eating

I can't quite get my head around the fact that summer is officially over. I'm prolonging it as long as possible with fresh produce. I'm making a lot of trips to Lynchburg these days and have been stopping at the Saunders Brothers Market. Their corn was the best I had all summer. They have a huge selection of peaches and now apples. I tried a couple of different peach varieties and made this peach pie. I was inspired by Evan Kleinman, of KCRW's Good Food,' pie a day' project throughout the summer. I haven't made a lot of fruit pies but peach pie is delicious! I used to listen to Good Food in Los Angeles and now I download the podcasts.


I love substantial salads for dinner during the summer too. This was so easy, fresh and filling. I baked the chicken breasts in white wine and sprinkled them with salt, pepper, fresh basil and parsley. Then steamed the potatoes and asparagus.


Served it over a bed of greens with a balsamic vinegarette.
My other craze this summer was the ultimate BLT. First of all I discovered pepper bacon a couple of years ago and now it's practically all I use. I haven't found anything that calls for bacon that's not better with pepper bacon.
So I have a couple of great BLT variations. First if you ever make garlic aioli for dinner, you always have some left over. Use that for your mayonnaise with toasted white bread, juicy tomatoes, lettuce and of course, pepper bacon.
Or:
Instead of the aoili put a thin layer of pimento cheese on your toasted white bread with tomato, lettuce, and pepper bacon.


No comments:

Post a Comment