Sunday, January 25, 2009

Cook's Illustrated

I have a subscription to Cook's Illustrated which I love reading cover to cover, but I don't actually cook very many of their recipes. The recent issue (Jan./Feb.) has an article on cooking hearty greens. Sam's Club happened to have a two pound bag of washed and cut collard greens so I bought them and tried the version with coconut milk and curry. I loved them, but the rest of the family wasn't as thrilled and thought they had quite a bite. Which they do, but like a good southern girl I love my greens.
I'm cooking my way through Ina Garten's new Barefoot Contessa cookbook (Back to Basics). Friends were over for dinner and I made the Indonesian Grilled Swordfish, very good but make sure not to over cook the fish on the grill. I served it with some herbed basmati rice, salad and naan. Desert was creme brulee with raspberries for the adults and brownie pudding (from the same book) with vanilla icecream for the kids.

2 comments:

  1. I have a similar experience with vanilla. I am forever running out of it and going to the store and deliberating over the increasing prices of bottled vanilla. What a difference between the 8 oz and the 32 oz price.

    Here is my solution to the need for vanilla. I have just begun to make my own. I purchased high quality vanilla beans from a website and placed eight long beans in a 6-8" bottle, added vodka and placed it in a dark corner of my pantry. After 4 weeks, it should be ready to use. When my supply gets low, all I have to do is add more vodka. I can use the beans for other recipes and simply replace them with new ones.

    This way, I never run out. I will let you know how it works in a month's time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, I can't wait to hear how it is.

    ReplyDelete